Software solutions for the utility industry
Financial analysis and utility business modeling
EMS, DMS, OMS, CIS, SCADA, AMI, GIS
Iowa State University
B.S. Electrical Engineering
Terry Nielsen, Senior Vice President – Systems Integration Services
Terry provides the highest level of expertise in defining, developing, and implementing software solutions for the utility industry. With more than twenty years in the development of distribution management systems (DMS), outage management systems (OMS), and energy management system (EMS) applications, Terry focuses on the practical implementation of utility business principles and operational practices. He is deeply engaged in working with executive and senior level management at large utilities. Terry is a specialist in operational business and process integration with Customer Information Systems (CIS), mobile data systems, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) systems and Geospatial Information Systems (GIS). He can also provide specialized financial analysis and utility business modeling.
Terry is a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), where he serves on the Transmission and Distribution Committee’s (Distribution Subcommittee) “Working Group on Distribution Reliability.” He has served on the DistribuTech Advisory Committee since 2001 in the areas of distribution operations, transmission and renewable energy. Terry is an active member of the Geospatial Information and Technology Association (GITA) and the IEC TC57 WG16 “Deregulated Market Communications.”
- Led OMS implementation and Integration project for Seattle City Light.
- Led integration of EMS, MMS and a CIM model manager for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas nodal project.
- Performed research and produced a report for EPRI on the use of CIM for distribution utilities.
- Provided OMS support for Kansas City Power and Light.
- Led AMI to OMS integration project for Mid Carolina Electric Cooperative.
- Reviewed integration status, and created integration roadmap for Long Island Power Authority.
- Prior to UISOL, Terry served more than 20 utilities or ISOs, including:
- Xcel Energy
- Toronto Hydro
- Kansas City Power and Light
- Consolidated Edison
- Northern Ireland Electricity
- Allinta (Melbourne, Australia)
- CES International. Several leadership positions.
- SPL WorldGroup (now part of Oracle). Vice President of Product Strategy.
- CDC Empros Division (now part of Siemens)